Via della Conciliazione (Road of the Conciliation) is a street in Rome, Italy. It connects Saint Peter's Square to the Castel Sant'Angelo on the western bank of the Tiber River.
Everyone can visualize Via della Conciliazione with St. Peter's Basilica in the background. Few realise that this street has not always been there, and that in fact it should not be there. Actually Michelangelo, who designed and built the dome of St. Peter’s, and Bernini, the colonnade's architect, had envisaged a surprise effect on pilgrims emerging onto St. Peter’s Square from the labyrinthine streets of the adjacent neighbourhood.
The road was constructed between 1936 and 1950, and it is the primary access route to the Square. It is bordered by a number of historical and religious buildings – including the Palazzo Torlonia, the Palazzo dei Penitenzieri and the Palazzo dei Convertendi, and the churches of Santa Maria in Traspontina and Santo Spirito in Sassia.
When Via Della Conciliazione meets St. Peter’s Square, there is a place named Pio XII Square, where Mondo Cattolico is placed since 1952. Its location has allowed us to be witnesses from ages of all the religious events that have taken place in there.